Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Grown up time-out

I had one of those moments today that I have seen in movies several times.  The one where the main character is seen throwing a huge tantrum or doing something else only a crazy person would do and then it goes to freeze frame and the rest of the movie shows you the events leading up to the tantrum.

While my life did not freeze frame this afternoon, I did find myself standing in the driveway screaming at my husband that my only wish in the whole world is to take a shower without everything falling apart.  I believe my parting words before I got in the car and drove too fast to the grocery store were, "I just want to be able to put pants on in the morning!"

By the time I reached the grocery store I realized how insane I was acting.  I sat in the car and thought to myself, "My goodness, how did I get this nuts?  I'm not this person."

Anyone else been there?  I'm going to guess that I am not in this boat alone.

I don't think it matters what is going on in your life that gets you to that place.  Whether it's kids, work, holidays...whatever is causing the stress, when you find yourself in the driveway screaming, it might be time for a time-out.

Here are some simple suggestions for a quick grown up time out that might help give you a boost. This is in no way professional advice.  Just simple things that have worked for me in my many times of need.


  • Hide in the closet and call your mom for a five minute pep talk.



  • Paint your toe nails.



  • Read for five minutes.



  • Sneak a piece of chocolate that you have hidden in the cupboard.  If you don't have any, it might be an emergency situation and you should immediately call for back up.



  • Plan to go out with girl friends,  even if the actual getting together is a few days off, just setting it up and having it to look forward to might be enough in a moment of crisis.  

  • Remember to breathe.  

  • Start singing out loud.  My singing seems to be unbearable to my kids and makes them crazy...which on some occasions is exactly what makes me feel better in a slightly evil kind of way.

  • Call your husband or girl friend or someone close and explain that you just need to vent a minute.  I have yelled and screamed at my husband so many times when he just says "I love you" and we hang up and I feel much better.

  • Most importantly...and this is serious...if you ever feel so crazy that you might hurt yourself or your kids, call for help.  It is NOT a sign of weakness to admit that you are overwhelmed and need a break.  It is a sign of STRENGTH to call for back up when it gets to be too much.  

To recap, when I got home from the store, I was breathing normally and speaking in a much more pleasant tone.  Taking a break was just what I needed to dig in and carry on.  I still have a million things to do that aren't getting done because my kids are out of control today...but tomorrow will come, and they have to sleep sometime!!!


1 comment:

  1. I've found a lot of success doing the same kinds of things. Now I pre-emptively do things I enjoy. In fact, I'm making a career of it.

    http://www.thevocalsokol.com/funnest-30-day-challenge/2012/02/01/

    I love that you're writing this blog! Great job.

    ReplyDelete